Sunday, September 16th, 2012
Rosh Hashanah Apple Cake
Best apple cake for Rosh Hashanah (c) incultureparent
Apples and honey are the symbolic foods of the Jewish New Year. So let’s make something sweet to celebrate!
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on pan
- 1 1/2-2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. Butter a 9-in. round cake pan. Line with parchment paper and butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon, shaking pan to distribute. Arrange apple slices in a single layer over cinnamon.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs. Add milk, vanilla, baking powder, and remaining cinnamon; mix until blended. Stir flour into creamed mixture just until blended. Spoon batter over apple.
3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Invert immediately onto a serving plate and drizzle with honey.
© 2012, Lauren Capitani. All rights reserved.
More Great Stuff You'll Love: