Apples and honey are the symbolic foods of the Jewish New Year. So let’s make something sweet to celebrate!
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on pan
- 1 1/2-2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. Butter a 9-in. round cake pan. Line with parchment paper and butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon, shaking pan to distribute. Arrange apple slices in a single layer over cinnamon.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs. Add milk, vanilla, baking powder, and remaining cinnamon; mix until blended. Stir flour into creamed mixture just until blended. Spoon batter over apple.
3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Invert immediately onto a serving plate and drizzle with honey.