This super healthy cookie recipe is perfect for afterschool snacks and lunch boxes.
For anyone gearing up for Ramadan, this is also an ideal cookie for dessert after long days of fasting. When I fast, I like to nourish my body when I break the fast and not flood it with unhealthy sugars.
These treats have also become the go to snack for my kids! They totally love them. My kids are also the type of kids who like real baked goods—Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, gooey brownies, etc. They generally complain that everything I make is too healthy. But these cookies even passed their test!
Makes 18 cookies
Gluten free, grain free and paleo
1 cup almond butter
1 cup coconut palm sugar or date sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup quinoa crisps or rice crispies (optional. Leave out if you are making these paleo)
½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together almond butter, flax seed and sugar, adding the vanilla, eggs and baking soda after.
- Add in the ½ cup of chocolate chips if using. The cookies are great without them but for chocolate lovers, they will totally hit the spot. They will increase the sugar in the recipe though.
- Mix in 1 cup of quinoa crisps or rice crispies if you can’t find those. Note that the batter will be thick once you mix those in.
- Roll batter into balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes.
- You can enjoy the chewy cookies almost immediately once they have cooled down.